Every client has different preferences and needs for mobile devices. Some clients prefer smartphones: they are cheaper, lighter and easier to take photos with. Other clients prefer tablets: they have bigger screens and are easier to type on. And many clients prefer a hybrid solution, where some employees use smartphones and some use tablets.
Our goal at ClearMechanic is to give clients the choice to run ClearMechanic on any Apple or Android smartphone or tablet. This requires a significant engineering effort on our part, but we feel this is critical to any mobile inspection program.
For clients who decide to purchase a new device (smartphone or tablet), they often want to buy cheap, reliable devices. And we are frequently asked for recommendations.
Here is a list of cheap, reliable Apple and Android devices:
Cheap, Reliable Apple Devices:
Used iPad 2 or iPad 3 (search eBay or Amazon)
Used iPhone 4S (search eBay or Amazon)
New iPod Touch (http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs.html)
Notes on Apple Devices:
1) It's tough to call any Apple device "cheap," so this is a relative term. You can get refurbished iPads and iPhone 4S for $100-$200 each.
2) If your business has WiFi, we strongly recommend getting a WiFi only device. This will save you from having another cellular data plan. ClearMechanic gives you the option to run on WiFi only.
Cheap, Reliable Android Devices:
Motorola Atrix 2 (under $75 on eBay and Amazon)
LG Nexus 4 (under $100 on eBay and Amazon)
HTC One V (under $75 on eBay and Amazon)
Samsung Galaxy S2 (under $150 on eBay and Amazon)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (under $200 on eBay and Amazon)
Notes on Android Devices:
1) Remember, ClearMechanic will run on any Android device. We just find this to be particularly cheap and effective in our experience.
2) If you plan on using our VIN Scanning feature, your Android device must have a camera with "auto-focus" capability.
3) If your business has WiFi, we strongly recommend getting a WiFi only device. This will save you from having another cellular data plan. ClearMechanic gives you the option to run on WiFi only.